Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Tag...

So, I've been dealing with Katelyn being sick (side note - I don't get why she is so susceptible to sickness! She wasn't a preemie, born normally... full term, and yet she is so prone to getting stuff). Anyway, we attempted to take the kids with us Christmas shopping today and it was such a mistake, the kids were awful and so we cut it short and Michael ended up staying in the van with them while they watched a movie and I just ran in to get groceries. My friend has Josh Groban's Christmas music on her blog, and I love it! It is so beautiful and I may have to buy it... but for now, it's on in a different browser in the background while I do this.


Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate! I particularly like mint hot chocolate, or hot chocolate with marshmallows, but NEVER the raspberry stuff... yuck. I do like Egg Nog, but we always had it mixed with Sprite (or fizzy as our family called it) and so if I ever drink it straight it seems terribly thick and I don't like it.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Well... I am probably the world's worst present wrapper. In most things, I think I am careful about things... but I can't bring myself to spend tons of time wrapping things that are going to get ripped open and stuffed in the trash. So... every gift is wrapped, even if it is a crappy shoddy job. Most of the time, there are no ribbons or bows... just wrapping paper, and Michael's are usually shoved into a bag (I love those bags!) but that's no fun for kids to just pull something out of a sack. As a side note... This is also a source of debate among me and some friends... I can't believe people give the BEST gifts from Santa. Are you kidding me?! Santa gets the credit? No way, the best gift should definitely be from mom and dad.


Colored lights on tree or white? We have white lights. I kind of wish we had colored lights, every place we've been that have colored lights, the kids just LOVE. But... colored lights we will probably never have... I thought to myself once, maybe we'll have 2 trees, one with colored one with white and have one be the "kids" and one pretty tree... but who am I kidding, I'm lucky to get one tree up.

When do you put your decorations up? Usually the day after Thanksgiving... well at least the tree, the decorations within the day or two, or sometimes on Sunday.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I love my mom's recipe for stuffing, which is more Thanksgiving, but it just said holiday. Growing up, our big dinner was Christmas Eve, and on Christmas we had snack foods... leftovers ham and turkey sandwiches on leftover rolls, cheeseballs, relish trays, etc. I like that. I like snack/finger foods... and of course, just snacking all day.

Favorite holiday memory as a child: My mom was such a Christmas lover. It was very magical to her and had great Christmas memories as a child and I think she passed that down on to most of her kids. Guiltily, ever since she died, I have had a bit of the grinch in me and I struggle with the holidays a lot... maybe because it's tough to have her gone and even after almost 12 years, it doesn't get better, and in some ways it gets worse. So, I have many many holiday memories. But, I guess one of my favorite holiday memories was one particular holiday where me and my sisters gave something that meant a lot to my mom. One Christmas Eve, it was particularly crazy with a program at the church, dinner, and the pj tradition that it got late and things were a huge mess when the kids went to bed. My parents went in their room to get Christmas ready and my two sisters and I (Jenny was already married) went down and got the kitchen all cleaned and dishes done so that when my mom came down to put Christmas around the tree, it was all clean for her. I remember she cried. The other one I had was, when I was a teenager Jeanna, Jerusha and I went down to buy a Christmas tree on Christmas Eve because we still didn't have one yet and they were a dollar and we bought 2 (that Bateman gene... getting a good deal) and we tied them to the top of our little blue station wagon. I don't remember putting up the second one though, I'm pretty sure we didn't.


Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? This was a huge tradition growing up. We not only got pjs... but my mom had made them most years. I've tried doing this since we've had kids... but never homemade.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? It used to be a "pretty" tree with matching ornaments, and the last couple of years we've been doing it "fun" with a modge podge of ornaments. We have some great ornaments we got from Michael's parents that my kids love. Old Hallmark ornaments that move and make noise.

Snow! Love it or dread it? Both! Can I say that? I love snow when I don't have to go out in it, and it's that warm snow that turns slushy and doesn't ice to the roads. I like to play in it once or twice, but I really like the warmth. So, I like it a little... but I am always anxious for spring.

Can you ice skate? I only remember going on horrible dates or group activities. I remember it being so crowded that I could scootch along but it wasn't like I could have even attempted anything amazing, even if I could. And I was too self conscious, I probably wouldn't have tried anyway. I like to watch it on the Olympics though.

Do you remember your favorite gift? Nope, I remember loving Christmas as a kid, but not getting many presents. One year I asked for a roller racer (a little seat with handle bars in the front that you wiggled to make you move) and I got it and then I felt guilty that I asked for it. So, it was a favorite because I knew my parents specifically got it because I asked, but then I wondered if I should have.

What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Making happy memories for my kids. Wanting it to be a great Christmas and hopefully they will remember what a happy time it is.

What is your favorite holiday dessert? Ahhh... my favorite. Dessert. Where do I start? Ok, to narrow it down and give something specific. I love Michael's peppermint ice cream. Yum. But Dryer's peppermint ice cream will substitute.

What is your favorite tradition? Like I said, my heart shrunk 3 sizes and I turned into a bit of the grinch... and my kids are helping my heart grow back to normal so I'm trying to do better about traditions. I like the pjs on Christmas Eve, reading the Christmas story (out of a picture book I bought, and I love, it has the scripture words, but beautiful paintings depicting the scriptures), driving around and looking at the Christmas lights, opening gifts on Christmas morning and just being lazy in the morning while the kids play.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I like giving gifts, but I'm not a good gift giver. I get paralyzed by trying to give the perfect gift that... I get stuck. I do love getting things for my kids. I have to hold back and not go crazy, I don't want spoiled kids, plus I didn't have many gifts growing up and I still loved Christmas and I want them to know that's not the only reason behind Christmas. But of course, who doesn't love getting gifts!

What is your favorite Christmas Song? It would be easier to tell you which songs I hate. I hate Silver and Gold, Feliz Navidad, The Holly and the Ivy, Oh Tannenbaum or just as bad O Christmas Tree (yes, I do know it's the same song)... ok, maybe it wouldn't be easier because I could go on. I really like soft calming peaceful not annoying Christmas Music like O Holy Night... another favorite is the primary song "Picture A Christmas" but as always, a lot of any good thing, is too much. So, there's only so much I can take.

Candy canes! Yuck or yum? Yum, probably because I'm a mint fan... but they must be peppermint candy canes, none of those yucky cherry flavored ones.

Ever recycled a Christmas present? Yup.

I'm supposed to Tag 7 friends... BUT, I felt like my last "tag" was unwelcome, like I was TELLING them to do something they didn't want to do. Plus, I know the holidays are super crazy busy, but I'd like to read about this on all my friends/families blogs... so if you feel like doing this, do it! I'd love to read your responses.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I don't understand why kids like the multi-colored lights?

I am surprised you don't add orange juice to your egg nog like the rest of the Gardners.. Yuck if you ask me - to add anything.

Ditto on the Christmas songs. There are some pretty great ones, but the bad ones far seem to outweigh the good ones. Not to mention there are some artists that can totally ruin a good song.

Kim and Joe said...

hey are you talking about the music on my blog. I love gosh groban too and especially O holy night. I do the same thing open up the blog first and look around on other sights listening to it.

Laurel said...

Hi Judy! I don't usually do the tag stuff but this was a good one so I did. =) I loved reading about your Christmases.

Jenny and the Boys said...

I am going to do it and I did want to do it last time, but it was about the time we had major problems with our computer. I still have the questions written down and so I will have to do both. I loved reading yours, it's nice to see that I am not alone in the world as to how I feel and remember mom. And my crazy buy 2 curse because it's on sale.

Sarah said...

Not a comment; just a question- What book do you have that tells the Christms story and has great pictures. (I'm trying to cut back on my book buying, but this sounds like one I might truly need.)