Friday, December 31, 2010

Year End Catch up

The last couple of months have kind of gone by and are blurred. So much has gone on, that I hate to wish a year away, but I'm looking forward to 2011. I wont go into all of it, but here a few of the highlights that made for an eventful end of 2010.
At the beginning October, Michael had shoulder surgery (he's had problems for years, rotator cuff stuff, bursitis, bone spurs, calcification... for those of you who may not know). So, we decided it was time to get it fixed. In a nutshell, and to spare details... He was in a sling for 6 weeks after that, but the following 2 months seemed to pretty much be filled up with Michael's post shoulder drama which landed him another 3 days in the hospital with a nasty bacterial infection, etc. Like I said, I'll spare you the details.
In the midst of that we had Thanksgiving...

Now, I normally don't take pictures on Thanksgiving... and this year was no exception. But the kids came home from school with the cutest pilgrim hats... so here they are with their pilgrim hats. Kate still talks about the "feast" she had in preschool.
Sam got his tonsils and adenoids removed... his adenoids were the biggest problem, they were so big they were blocking his airway and he was unable to breathe through his nose most of the time. His tonsils were taken out too, and they were big, but not the reason we did the surgery.

The hospital held a presurgery class where the kids came and they showed them the hospital, explained what would happen, etc. Kate was able to go and they got these cute little dolls with "special hospital pajamas" let them try out the slushee they'd get to have when they came out of surgery and answer any questions I had. So, this was probably the beginning and end of our good experience.
So the surgery happened on Dec 20, with plenty of time to recover before Christmas... right?! Well, depending on who you talked to, ranging from "it's rough" to "kids bounce back so fast!" Well, Sam didn't bounce back so fast. It has been a very rough 2 weeks.
Not to mention that the poor kid had to fast until 4 pm. (Our surgery was initially hours earlier and got bumped, which was miserable for the poor kid). It was kind of downhill from there. So, just like with Michael's shoulder surgery... ask us in a couple of months if we're glad we did it.

No comments: